We’re all different. We have different wants, needs, and desires. But, one consistent desire among all people is the desire to engage in a healthy sex life. It’s only natural that our sex drive, or libido, will vary at different times in our life. But, sometimes decreased libido is outside the ordinary. An unexpected and unwanted change of the desire for sexual activity isn’t something that has to be suffered in silence. There are numerous ways to combat a loss of libido and help improve our sex drive. Some approaches are medical, some are lifestyle changes, and others tap into the power of herbal remedies and supplements.
What Causes a Decrease in Libido?
Low sexual desire or lessened sexual interest can be caused by many things, and sometimes, it’s a combination of factors both physical and psychological.
Some of the physical issues that affect sexual desire may be related to health conditions or health problems, such as issues with sex hormone levels (particularly low testosterone levels), not enough regular exercise, or drug use/alcohol abuse. It’s important to remember that some prescription drugs including high blood pressure medications can also lower libido as a side effect, so if you’ve started a new medication recently and have noticed a drop in desire, you should consult with your doctor.
Mental health and self-esteem problems shouldn’t be discounted either when it comes to causes of low libido. Relationship problems can top the list, but issues with body image, high stress, and depression can also lead to a low sex drive.
Smart Ways to Increase Your Sex Drive
There’s usually no one cause for a lowered sex drive, so there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. The smart approach should be a multi-faceted one, an approach that considers all the many common causes and factors that are involved in men's health, both in terms of sexual health and overall health.
Here are some common approaches and supplements that may steer you back on course towards an active and happy sex life.
Ashwagandha has a long history as an adaptogenic herb in traditional Ayurveda practice. It’s prized for many qualities, including stress relief, cognitive improvement, and muscle strengthening. Ashwagandha also has a reputation for improving sexual performance for both men and women, and can improve low levels of testosterone in men. Ashwagandha also inhibits the production of cortisol in your body. Higher levels of cortisol can reduce testosterone levels, contributing to sexual dysfunction.
If you’re interested in taking ashwagandha, look for high-quality supplements that provide the purest ingredients and best effects. KSM66 Ashwagandha root extract, used in ASYSTEM’s Superhuman Supplement System, is produced with an all-natural process that provides an effective, pure supplement.
Maybe you’ve been taking vitamins since you munched on Flintstones Chewables. You didn’t realize then that the vitamins you were taking might have a positive effect on sex drive later on in life. While there are few studies on the efficacy of vitamins for improving libido, these vitamins are often recommended if you’re looking for a boost in your sex drive.
- Vitamin B. The B vitamin complex is said to improve blood flow and can boost feelings of desire.
- Vitamin D. There’s encouraging news, including a study in the International Journal of Endocrinology, about the positive effects of Vitamin D on men’s sexual function, including supporting normal blood flow to the male sex organs.
- Vitamin E. This vitamin has often been touted as the “sex vitamin,” with claims that it can increase sex drive and improve male sexual performance.
While the jury is still mostly out on specific effects of vitamins on sex drive, taking a regular course of multivitamins can do much to improve overall health and boost immunity, which are always wins in our book. Consider supplementing your diet with daily vitamins. ASYSTEM’s Superhuman Supplement System provides the vitamins we’ve discussed above, and much more to aid in your overall wellness routine.
There are a variety of herbal supplements that are prized for their natural ability to rev up the libido. While there are plenty of herbs that promise great results, these have some scientific studies to back them up.
- Maca. This South American root vegetable is prized in folk medicine for its libido-boosting effects. Animal studies have shown an increase in sexual function with mice and rats, and an increase in feelings of sexual desire has been shown in a human study as well.
- Ginkgo biloba. Antidepressants often have an unpleasant side effect of reducing libido. A study of participants taking antidepressants showed an increase in feelings of desire and excitement after taking a ginkgo biloba supplement daily.
- Red ginseng. Ginseng has a long history of use as an aphrodisiac. Men taking red ginseng in a double-blind study showed that it was much more effective than a placebo in improving erections in men.
- Saffron. This common spice holds great promise for helping men with low libido who are taking antidepressants, including a study that tracked a group of men who took saffron every day for four weeks and saw improvement in sexual desire.
Testosterone replacement therapy
While many supplements and natural treatments can go a long way towards boosting your testosterone levels, testosterone therapy is an option only your doctor can provide. If you are experiencing other health issues beyond a decreased sex drive, like fatigue, weight gain around your middle section, trouble concentrating, hair loss, and more, consult your health care provider.
Your doctor can run a blood test to check your testosterone levels and suggest a course of treatment.
Sometimes the best remedy doesn’t involve a medication or supplement. While it may take a bit longer than a pill or supplement, many doctors suggest that one of the best ways to boost your sex drive is to spend some quality time in the gym. Here are 4 exercises one wellness doc swears by.
- Weight training. An effective weight lifting program can encourage your body to produce higher levels of testosterone. Higher levels of testosterone are linked to an increased sex drive, so the two are a great fit. You’ll not only look jacked, but you’ll also perform better where it matters.
- High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Not only is HIIT a great way to burn fat, it also reduces levels of cortisol, a stress hormone in your body. High cortisol levels can reduce testosterone, so this training can help keep you in balance and help to boost your libido.
- Yoga. Having a regular yoga practice improves flexibility and core strength, and it can also be a great way to manage stress. Too much stress equals more cortisol, which we just mentioned, is no good for your sex drive.
- Swimming. What’s not to like about swimming? It improves cardiovascular function, plus builds muscle and endurance. All that time in the pool must work — in a Harvard study, swimmers in their 60s reported sex lives comparable to non-swimmers who were in their 40s.
If you’re convinced that it’s time to ramp up your workout regimen, be sure to keep yourself fueled with a healthy diet so you’ll have energy left over for extracurricular activities afterward. Consider a routine of supplements and vitamins to help boost your workout performance and support your immune system. ASYSTEM’s Superhuman Supplement System is a great all-in-one solution for this!
Boost Your Libido the Natural Way
As we’ve seen, there are a lot of ways to approach the problem of low libido, and not all of them require heading to the drug store to fill a prescription. It’s important not to treat a decrease in your sex drive as something you can’t avoid, or think about it out of context with the rest of your life.
By treating yourself well — getting enough exercise, eating right, and using smart supplements and vitamins — you may find that your libido worries quickly become a thing of the past.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. ASYSTEM products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.